Sunday 7 July 2013

Mambazha Pulisheri (Sweet and sour mango curry)

Mambazha Pulisheri (മാമ്പഴ പുളിശ്ശേരി)

Mambazha pulishery is a sweet and sour vegetarian delicacy from Kerala made out of sweet mango fruits. Yes, you herd it right... Sweet mangoes !! And yes, we prepare a curry with the king of fruits !!!

I prepare this dish specially for my husband, this being one of his favorite dishes. I had heard of this dish, but never tried making it until my husband asked me to try it one day. And I had to consulted my mom for the recipe. Once I made the dish, I had to agree that my husband was right. The taste is beyond what I can describe in words.

The mangoes traditionally used for making Mambazha pulishery is the smallest type of mangoes, which is known as nadan manga (country mangoes). Please refer to the picture below to get an idea of the type of mangoes. I have also heard from my friends that, in some parts of Kerala, these mangoes are called kattu manga (meaning mangoes from the wild). I was pleasantly surprised to see that this variety of mangoes were available in plenty throughout the 'Mango Mela' in Bangalore this year.

The picture below shows the variety of mangos that I used and the one on the right hand shows the  mangoes after peeling off the outer skin.


Here is a picture of the dish after preparing:

Let's see how do we prepare this delicacy.

Ingredients:
1) Ripe mango (Nattu manga)    4 nos (peel of the outer skin);
    Turmeric powder                    as needed;
    Green chilly                            3 nos (slit through center);
    Salt                                          as needed;

2) Coconut                                  grated (1/2   cup);
    Cumin seeds (jeera)                ½ tsp;
    Small onion                             5 nos;

3)Curd                                         3 tbsp;

4) Coconut oil                             1 tbsp;
    Curry leaves                            1 spring;
    Mustard                                   1 tsp;
    Dried red chillies                     4 nos (cut in to 3 pieces);

Method of preparation:
1. Wash the ripe mangoes, remove the outer skin. You can peel off the skin with your hands, no need to use a knife.

2. Take one clay pot, add the items under 1 (mango, turmeric powder, chilly and salt) along with some water. Cook it well.

3. Grind the items under 2 (coconut, cumin seeds, and small onions) and make it into a paste. Add this into the above mixture, stir well. When it starts boling swich off the flame. To this add curd and mix well.

4. Heat oil in a pan and sprinkle in mustard seeds.When they start sputtering add curry leaves and chilly piecess stirr well,Add these in to the above mixture, stir well.


Your curry is ready to serve!

No comments:

Post a Comment